This with the white background, is the original flag of the County. The background colour of the newer flag registered in 2008 is set on a yellow background.
The flag features the county’s traditional red rose with which it has long been associated. A rose had first been used as a royal badge by Henry III (reigned 1216 – 1272) , who adopted his golden rose from his wife, Eleanor of Provence. This royal badge was then used by the four subsequent monarchs but Henry’s son Edmund (Crouchback) (1245-1296) the first Duke of Lancaster, distinguished his own badge by making the rose red. His descendants, the Dukes of Lancaster, used the badge as an emblem of the house of Lancaster.
In the nineteenth century the red rose appeared as the badge, or on the military banners, of some county militia regiments including the Royal Lancashire Militia
A red rose also reportedly featured on the regimental colours of: Blackburn Hundred Higher Division Local Militia, and Trafford House and Hulme Local Militia.
During World War 1, (1914 -1918) the red rose had become entrenched as the county symbol. The 55th (West Lancashire) Territorial Division wore the Lancaster Rose on their shoulder flashes as their Divisional Sign and had the motto “They win or die, who wear the Rose of Lancaster”
Write a review and let shoppers know what you think of this product.